Christ the Redeemer Anglican Parish began years ago as St. David’s Episcopal Church in Peters Township. In 1950, about 10 families gathered in a one room school house on Irishtown Road in Bethel Park for the first service of a mission church ministering in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh.
St. David’s mission grew rapidly and within a year was organized as a parish. The membership called The Rev. Gilbert M. Watt as its first Rector in 1951, beginning a tenure that ended in the Fall of 1984, when he accepted a call to serve in our diocesan Interim Ministry program. In 1968 an assistant was called and St. David’s has been blessed by the service of several assistants and many seminary students since then. The Rev. Christopher Leighton served as Rector from 1985 to 1994 , leading us in a period of great spiritual growth. From 1995 through 2007 the Rev. Mark Wright served St. David’s as our Rector. Mark continued to focus on spiritual growth, instituting a successful Alpha program which resulted in many new members.
In 2008, the Rev. David Wilson came to St. David’s as Priest-in-Charge to lead us, as our diocese realigned out of the Episcopal Church and into the Anglican Province of the Southern Cone (the southern third of South America). Subsequently, a new province the Anglican Church in North America was formed in July 2009 of which our diocese and our parish chose to affiliate. Also in 2009 the vestry dissolved St. David’s Episcopal Church and formed St. David’s Anglican Church.
In 2012 after exhausting all legal avenues, it became painfully apparent that St. David’s Anglican Church would not be able to keep the Peters Township property that the congregation had built up over the years and that it made little sense to continue under the burden of a heavy mortgage payment for a building that could never be owned by that congregation. So on March 25th the parish voted to disband. St David’s Anglican Church was no more. A new parish was started with those of the congregation who desired to do so. Bishop Duncan accepted this new parish and named it The Anglican Parish of Christ the Redeemer in the South Hills with the charge to plant new churches all through the South Hills of Pittsburgh.
We are very happy and excited that the Lord has brought us to Canonsburg. Join us and see what the Lord has in store for us all.